Friday, February 11, 2011

A Contemplative Walk

As I walked the 7 km on country roads around Inglewood today with my dog and i-pod, I had a lot of time to contemplate where I’m at, where I’ve come from and where I’m headed. Sounds a lot heavier than it really was, trust me. It’s just that I realised everything I’ve done so far has come to a point and things are going to change. The great thing is, I’m ready for the changes. I’ve been a stay-at-home mum for 9 ½ years. When you consider I only spent 5-ish years working after university and teacher’s college, that’s a lot of time at home. That’s a lot of time spent at coffee groups, mums’ groups, music groups, playcentre committees and kindergarten committees. I’m not down-playing anything I’ve done; not only have I devoted myself to my children but I’ve networked myself across the community and have met and developed relationships with some amazing people. But I am ready for something different. I’m ready to sink my teeth into something and feel like there is more to me than being a mum and a social networker. How fantastic it is that I’ve come to this point, ready to move on, only 6 weeks from my girls’ birthday. How wonderful that I’m not sitting here pining for the preschool activities we used to do.

That pretty much covers the “where I’m at” and “where I’ve come from” which of course leaves the million dollar question: “where am I headed?” What’s the next adventure around the corner? What’s the next challenge? Will I be able to manage it with my at-home responsibilities because I will still have 4 children that need to be dropped off and picked up from school. Walking down Dudley Road I came to the intersection with the highway that leads back into Inglewood and I realised that the expected route was to turn left and head home. I decided to cross the highway, cross the train tracks and keep walking, up and down a few hills, the long way home. I realised, how exciting it is that nothing is set in stone for me now: it’s a road with many branches and I can choose my own way. The route I take will not be predictable. Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment