Monday, August 15, 2011

Snow Memories in Inglewood

Paul and the kids enjoying the falling snow, first thing this morning



Abby, Madeline and Mr. Snow (on a bit of a lean unfortunately)


Buster loving the snow


The sun came out and spoiled our winter wonderland




They said it was coming. Snow down to 300 meters. Inglewood is right on that level so I had two thoughts as I drifted off to sleep late last night, listening to the rain on the roof. 1) set the alarm and put more wood on the fire in the middle of the night. 2) open the curtains so that the first thing I see in the morning is a blanket of white. Just in case. But sleep took hold and I did neither.


Paul's alarm went off at 7 am and he got up unusually fast for a Monday morning. I, on the other hand, rolled over to catch a few more zzzzs. He was obviously on a similar train of thought to mine the night before because instead of dragging himelf into the shower, he wandered into the lounge. The next thing I knew, he was opening the curtains beside my bed with a big grin on his face. It wasn't just flurries that Inglewood hopefuls try to claim as snow. It was a glorious white blanket covering my ready-for-spring garden and it was still falling in large magical flakes from the sky. I jumped out of bed saying, "Oh my goodness; oh my Wow; oh my SNOW!" Paul had the pleasure of waking the kids to show them (apparently Madeline was sitting in her bed reading books and when Paul asked if she'd looked out the window, she was all, "no, why? Should I?"), while I scurried around looking for clothes to throw on and thinking to myself, "what do I wear? What do I look like? Do I need to shower before I play in the snow?" First things first and I ran and took some photos before the kids or Buster put their tracks into the whiteness. Then the phone rang and I was unbelievably asked to work at St. Pat's, which at least answered the question of whether or not to shower and what to wear. But then I wasn't sure if the kids should put their uniforms on or just snow clothes, so the actual getting dressed part of the morning took forever. We finally got there, or at least the kids and Paul did, Buster in tow. And let me tell you, that dog loves snow. Buster scampered everywhere and then rolled around in the white stuff, sniffing, snorting and having a rollicking great time.



Thankfully the phone went again and I was told the school would in fact be closed for the day, which meant I could stop rushing and start playing too. Paul eventually had to leave for work but the kids and I built a big snowman, made snow angels, caught flakes on our tongues and had a wee snowball fight. All those good snow activities I remember as a child growing up in the prairies of Canada, except we had so much snow that we would also be building snow forts and tunnels or tobagganing down the slopes. I used to play for hours out in the snow, bundled into my snowsuit, toque (beanie), scarf, mittens and fur-lined boots. Today, the novelty lasted, oh, about an hour. The kids got cold wet and hungry pretty quickly. I'm not sure if it's because the snow is wetter here or because we don't have the gear. I suspect it's more about the fact that kids today....




Alas the fun lasted but a few hours. Around noon the sun came out and the whole snowy neighbourhood started to steam. And drip. And then turn muddy. But what a great memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment